- Different word that we pronounced the same but may or may not be spelled the same.
- (semantics) (strict sense) A word that both sounds and is spelled the same as another word but has a different meaning.
- (loosely) A word that sounds or is spelled the same as another word but has a different meaning, technically called a homophone(same sound) or a homograph (same spelling).
- (taxonomy) A name for a taxon that is identical in spelling to another name that belongs to a different taxon.
- A word that has the same pronunciation as another. Homonyms differ from each other in
- Origin, and
- Usually spelling.
The List of Homonym:
A very short little insignificant English
Eh an interrogative utterance
Acts things done
Ax chopping tool
Ad short for advertisement
Add short for addition
Adds performs addition
Ads more than one advertisement
Adze axe – like tool
Ade fruit beverage
Aid to assist
Aide an assistant
Aerie eagle’s nest
– Different words with identical or very similar meanings. Words that are synonyms are said to be synonymous, and the state of being a synonym is called synonymy. The word comes from Ancient Greek syn (σύν) (“with”) and onoma (ὄνομα) (“name”).
– Synonym is a word with the same meaning or nearly the same meaning as another word in the same language.
Synonyms can be any part of speech (e.g. nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs or prepositions), as long as both members of the pair are the same part of speech.
The List of Synonym:
|3||To Answer||To reply||Verb||Menjawab, Membalas|
|4||To Appear||To Seem||Verb||Nampak|
|5||To glitter||To sparkle||Verb||Berkelap-kelip|
|6||To assure||To guarantee||Verb||Menjamin|
|8||To behave||To act||Verb||Berkelakuan|
|9||To begin||To start||Verb||Memulai|
|15||To denote||To indicate, to represent||Verb||Menunjukkan|
|16||To emphasize||To stress||Verb||Menekankan|
|18||To fabricate||To manufacture||Verb||Membuat|
– A word that means the opposite to another word. They can be grouped into 3 types: Gradable, Complementary, andRelational Antonyms.
- Gradable antonyms, the members of a pair differ in terms of degree. The denial of one is not necessarily the assertion of other. For Example: Rich x Poor ; High x Low ; Wide x Narrow.
- Complementary Antonyms, the members of a pair in this type are complementary to each other. Not only the assertion of one means the denial of the other, the denial of one also means the assertion of the other. For Example: Male/Female, Alive/Dead, Married/Single.
- Relational Antonyms, they show the reversal a relationship between two entities. For example: Husband/Wife, Teacher/Pupil, Doctor/Patient, Buy/Sell, Above/Below.
The List of Antonym:
|9||Last||Yang Terakhir||Adjective||First||Yang Pertama|
- A word or phrase that has multiple meanings.
- A word with many meanings.
- A word with multiple related senses.
The List of Polysemy:
|No||WORD||MEANING 1||MEANING 2|
|1||aggregation||coming together||result of coming together;|
|those who come together|
|2||Assembly||coming together||result of coming together;|
|those who come together|
|3||Bank||keep secure||place where things are kept secure|
|4||Bed||something sleepers lie upon||what a stream lies on|
|5||Book||a bound collection of pages||text distributed as a book|
|6||Capitalist||person who owns a business||supporter of capitalism;|
|person who owns a business|
|7||congregation||coming together||result of coming together;|
|those who come together|
|8||Court||seek favor||assembly of those seeking favor;|
|the president of the court (“judge”)|
|9||delegation||granting authority to another||those to whom authority has been granted|
|10||Head||part of the body above neck||person in charge of an organization|
|11||Hospital||activity or place for lodging guests||place for treating the ill|
|12||Hunt||seeking something,||those engaged in a search and taking|
|especially game animals,|
|to kill or capture|
|13||March||moving together on foot||those who move together on foot|
|14||Milk||activity of extracting milk||result of extraction|
|15||militia||military or defense activity||those engaged in or subject to being required to engage in defense activity|
|16||ministry||serving the needs of others||those engaged in serving the needs of others|
|17||mole||a small burrowing mammal||someone who burrows for information hoping to go undetected|
|18||movement||motion, change in position||result of motion or change; those who move or change|
|19||nurse||serving the needs of others||someone engaged in serving the needs of others|
|20||police||make orderly (lawful)||law enforcers|
|21||service||doing for others||those who serve (especially military)|
|22||Viking||raiding||those who raid (especially of Scandinavian origin)|
|23||wedding||joining a couple in matrimony||those engaged in joining a couple in matrimony; time or place of doing so|
|24||wood||a piece of a tree||a geographical area with many trees|
|25||Crawl||to move slowly on hands and knees||to move slowly in traffic;|
|to be covered with moving things;|
|to swim the crawl|
- A word with a particular meaning that is included in the meaning of a more general word.
- A word that represents different categories covered by a superordinate: Superordinate: Animal, Hyponym: Cat, horse, etc.Superordinate is a general term that includes various different words representing narrower categories, called Hyponyms: SUPERORDINATE EXAMPLE: Superordinate: Animal, Hyponym: Cat, horse, etc.
The List of Hyponym:
- Superordinate: transportation ; Hyponym: car, motorcycle, pedicab, train, bus, cycle, truck, ferry, speed boat, helicopter, airplane.
- Superordinate: day ; Hyponym: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
- Superordinate: month ; Hyponym: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December.
- Superordinate: color ; Hyponym: white, black, pink, green, red, grey, orange, violet, yellow, blue.
- Superordinate: religion ; Hyponym: Moslem, Christian, Catholic, Hinduism, Buddhism.
- Superordinate: sport ; Hyponym: football, baseball, basketball, aerobic, badminton, fencing, diving, chess, fighting, golf, marathon, grand prix.
- Superordinate: fruit ; Hyponym: banana, orange, grape, mango, jackfruit, durian, watermelon, strawberry, cherry, honeydew melon, pineapple, pear, kiwi, pomegranate, star fruit.
- Superordinate: job ; Hyponym: teacher, doctor, soldier, lawyer, farmer, fisherman, gardener, civil servant, guide, policeman, driver, translator.
- Superordinate: animal ; Hyponym: bear, crab, dolphin, bee, butterfly, goose, eagle, leopard, frog, elephant, crocodile, penguin, shark, rabbit, pigeon, monkey.
- Superordinate: human body ; Hyponym: face, hair, nose, lips, neck, throat, arm, back, head, finger, stomach, knee, eye, cheek, forehead, eyeball, ear, tongue, tooth, chin, brain, heart, muscle, leg, foot, lung.
- Superordinate: family ; Hyponym: parent, child, mother, father, son, brother, daughter, sister, uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother, husband, wife.
- Superordinate: goods ; Hyponym: bottle, book, ring, doll, lamp, laptop, bag, paper, pen, cupboard.
- Superordinate: country ; Hyponym: Indonesia, United State, North Korea, Japan, Germany, France, Holland, Italy, Spain, England, Turkey, Portugal, Australia.
- Superordinate: language ; Hyponym: Indonesian, Malay, Arabic, Russian, Japanese, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Mandarin, English, Spanish.
- Superordinate: adjective ; Hyponym: diligent, lazy, easy, difficult, hard, low, high, tall, short, clever, smart, stupid, angry, calm, wise, poor, rich, bad, good.
- Superordinate: weather ; Hyponym: summer, winter, autumn, spring, dry season, rainy season.
- Superordinate: subject ; Hyponym: English, chemistry, physic, biology, economy, mathematic, art, information and technology.
- Superordinate: flower ; Hyponim: rose, lily, jasmine, orchid.
- Superordinate: universe ; Hyponym: space, comet, star, earth, moon,
- Superordinate: music ; Hyponym: pop, jazz, rock, blues, pop rock.