ICE-ed 2015, International Conference on English and Its Educational Dynamics, is 1st international conference held by English Department Faculty of Letters, Hasanuddin University. It was on 26 – 27 September 2015 at Prof. A. Amiruddin Auditorium, Hasanuddin University, Makassar, Indonesia.
The topic was about ELT Practices in Asia: Challenges and Opportunities. This gives us a chance to enrich our knowledge, visions, and researches related to English teaching and learning today. The topic was good enough to get attention from people who want to join. It was proved by many members, whether they were as participants or presenters, came not only from Makassar, but also Banjarmasin, Pekanbaru, Malaysia, Yogyakarta, Ambon, Mataram, Kupang, Kendari, Kediri, Gorontalo, Palopo, Bandung, Semarang, Japan, etc.
It was also supported by the presence of the keynote and plenary speakers, namely:
- Dr. Jonathan Newton as the keynote speaker (He is a senior lecturer in school of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Victoria University of Wellington)
- Dr. Hywel Coleman as the plenary speaker (He is Honorary Senior Research Fellow in the School of Education, University of Leeds, UK)
- Dr. Thi Thuy Minh Nguyen as the plenary speaker (She is an assistant professor at the National Institute of Education, Singapore) *She is still young to be a Doctor. What a wonderful woman! >.<. By the way, it is her first time to be a plenary speaker in an international conference.
- Dr. Willy A Renandya as the plenary speaker (He is a senior lecturer at the English Language and Literature Departments, National Institute of Education, Singapore)
- Leah Karels as the featured speaker (She is the English Language Fellow for Hasanuddin University in Makassar)
- *Additional info. 😀 Left to right: Kak Farisatma (an ELS Student of Unhas), Ibu Dra. Nasmilah Imran, M.Hum, Ph.D (The Conference Chair), Nining Syafitri (an ELS Student of Unhas), Ibu Dr. Hj. Sukmawaty, M.Hum (one of committees).
The speakers were very humble and nice. They responded some questions from participants that concerned to the certain topic of English education. Also, they had good abilities in presenting their materials. I think they study whenever wherever. They look sooooo coolll. Hehehe… I mean, the educated people like them are needed to be inspiring educators and researchers, how we have passion to learn, teach learners, and research about English education and its components so we can increase our quality to be a professional educator and give theoritical and practical contribution to English education world.
Unfortunately, in this conference, I was only one of participants, not a presenter. Hehehe. Actually, I want to be a presenter but I do not have enough preparation. Hopefully, in the next chance, I will be a presenter.
I like the situation of conference, academic situation. 🙂 There were many friends of me that joined in this conference so I did not feel lonely. They were Hikma, Kak Monic, Kak Yandri, Sani, Ucha, Kak Ayz, Destri, Sofyan, Kak Fai and Eman. Thank you for the laughter and the togetherness, guys.
Before I end my writing, I want to say a special thank for my lecturer, Bapak La Ode Supardi, S.Pd., M.Pd. for his kindness me related to the conference. I hope this can be a precious experience for improving my competence and performance in English education. Thanks, Pak. 🙂
Last but not least, my impression for the conference is overall is good, although there are some parts that must be improved. It is maybe caused by this is the first conference but I appreciate the work of the committees, the international conference is one of your prestige work, at least you have presented to us and proved that you did into reality, not just a dream . Congratulation. 🙂